Ministry and stakeholders agree to tackle issues for flight resumption
The Minister for Infrastructure and Public Utilities, Harry Iauko, together with the Minister for Internal Affairs, Georges Wells, attended a meeting at the Luganville Municipality Town hall on Santo Wednesday last week with stakeholders to address issues that were needed to address to work towards returning international flights to Pekoa.
The Acting Director General for MIPU Mr Johnson Binaru, Air Vanuatu CEO Mr Joseph Laloyer and Airports Vanuatu Limited CEO Mr Peter Bong accompanied the ministers, along with Acting Director of CAAV Peter Moses and Senior staff of the Department of Lands, Mr George Kirby.
The delegation was welcomed by the Mayor of Luganville together with the Secretary General of SANMA Province.
“The meeting was successful, with the industry representatives, custom land owners and airport authorities agreeing to work together to address a number of issued raised in a Risk Assessment Report of Pekoa airport,” Minister Iauko said.
He also indicated the Government is behind the drive to return the international service as soon as standards are restored at Pekoa airport.
Minister Iauko reported a number of priority issues at the airport, including maintenance required on a fire truck and the logging of trees on nearby private lands are already being addressed.
“We are hopeful the B737 may be able to resume flights to Santo as soon as possible,” Iauko said.