Boxing hooks a crowd at Wan Smolbag Yut Senta
Saturday the 6th of November saw the first time the Wan Smolbag Yut Senta held a boxing tournament on the Shefa province’s boxing ring (currently being held by Wan Smolbag Yut Senta).
The event attracted approximately 200 paying spectators. Forty youth, aged between 13 and 20 had the opportunity to showcase their skills in boxing.
Rita Norman, a WSB youth centre co-ordinator, was pleased with the event, although some of the boxing ‘was a little risky’.
Norman said the event was a good way to promote boxing as a sport and to encourage youth to ‘improve for the future’.
The President of the Namalama Club acknowledged the boxing competition as a ‘good experience for individual boxers’, however some boxers ‘need more training’ and stressed the importance of a lack of mental fitness.
A special thanks to the Wan Smolbag Coach Kolontas, the referee, Ruatu, the judges, the co-coordinators at the youth centre, and any other volunteers who made this ‘knock-out’ event possible.
The next Wan Smolbag boxing event will take place this Saturday the 20th of November at 4pm, so if you want to watch some good sporting entertainment (WSB bands will also be performing live!), come down to the Wan Smolbag Yut Senta and check it out! Call the Youth Centre on 27110 for more information.
The local boxing club that took part in this tournament are WSBC: Wan Smolbag Club, MMBC: Mitmit Boxing Club, SSBC: South Sea Boxing Club and NMBC: Namalmal Boxing Club. The winning boxer’s name is highlighted.
Results from Saturday’s fights are as follows:
• Light Welter Weight 57Kg- Timothy D of the NMBC came to record a win over Harry Beu from the WSBC
• Light Welter Weight 59Kg- Jill Kalai of the NMBC came to record a win over Jimmy from the MMBC.
• Light Welter Weight 59Kg - Jamica of the NMBC with Mathiew from the NMBC.
• Light Welter Weight 60Kg- Peter Rex of the WSBC lost to Bryan from the NMBC.
• Light weight 65Kg- Alfred of the NBC lost to Junior from the WSBC.
• Light welter weight 60Kg- Charlie of the MMBC drew with James NMBC.
• Light welter weight 60Kg- Bob of the SSBC drew with Nickson Sam from the WSBC.
• Light weight 60Kg - Laly of the SSBC drew with Rony fromthe WSBC.
• Light weight 61Kg- Rex Patson of the SSBC lost to Jackson from the WSBC.
• Lightweight 61Kg- Edward of the SSBC came to record a win over Tagly from the WSBC.
• Light weight 64Kg- John Alman of the SSBC came to record a win over Alex Nayn from the WSBC.
• Light weight 65Kg - Joe of the NMBC lost to Peter from the WSBC.
• Light Heavy weight 68Kg- Roy Dan of the MBC lost to Zorro from the WSBC